Eye Care Benefits
Tufts Health Freedom Plan offers coverage for routine eye exams and other vision services through the EyeMed Vision Care network. EyeMed offers you the freedom to choose your care from a list of more than 24,000 eye care providers and these well-known retail stores including LensCrafters, Sears Optical, Target Optical, JCPenney Optical, Pearl Vision (most locations), and private practitioners.
Routine Eye and Vision Care Services
- To receive the highest level of coverage for routine eye exams and other vision care services, you must visit an optometrist or ophthalmologist in the EyeMed network.
- To find an eye care provider in the EyeMed network or to find out if your eye doctor is in the network, go to thfp.com, click on Find a Doctor, then click on Vision Care.
Discounts on Glasses
As a Tufts Health Freedom Plan member, you will receive these discounts from eye care providers in the EyeMed network.
- Save 35% on the price of frames and get discount prices on lenses when you buy a pair of glasses. Discounts may not apply to some frames. Prices may vary by retail store.
- Save 20% on the price of nonprescription sunglasses.
- Save 5%-15% on the price of LASIK and PRK laser vision correction. For a location near you and approval for the discount, please call 877-5LASER6.
- To order contact lenses for less than the retail price and have them shipped to your home or office, visit eyemedcontacts.com. The cost of a contact lens evaluation and fitting is not covered by your eye care benefit, so members need to pay for these services themselves.
Eye Care Providers
A licensed eye care provider who performs eye exams and other eye care services, and prescribes glasses, contacts, and other vision aids.
An eye doctor who performs eye exams, treats eye disease, conducts surgery, and prescribes glasses, contacts, and other vision aids.
An eye care provider who reads vision prescriptions and helps you choose the glasses, contact lenses, and other eye aids that are right for you.
Your Eye Care Benefit
Your eye care benefit covers routine eye exams. Routine eye exams may include some or all of the following services.
- A review of the history of your eyes and vision, along with a general health history and a review of medicines you are taking
- A discussion of any vision problems you may have and the reasons for your visit
- An exam of the inside and outside of your eyes and of the areas around your eyes
- A measure of the pressure in your eyes
- Dilation to make your pupils larger so that your eye care provider can see and check the entire inside of your eye
- A measure of how well you see close up and at a distance
- A test of your vision to see if you need prescription glasses and whether or not you can use contact lenses
- A treatment plan, follow-up eye exams, and eye health advice
Know Your Benefits
Providers within the EyeMed network are able to meet your routine eye care needs. If you need to see an ophthalmologist to treat or monitor an eye disease or condition, be sure to confirm that the ophthalmologist is in the network. If your plan requires a referral for specialty care, you will need to get one from your PCP
To learn more about your eye and vision care benefit, log in at thfp.com/memberlogin, your secure online account, or call the EyeMed Vision Care Network at 866-504-5908.