Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) Care Management Program
Having a baby in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit can be an overwhelming and frightening experience for new parents. Tufts Health Freedom Plan recognizes this and offers our members a program aimed at supporting families through this often-stressful time.
Through the Tufts Health Freedom Priority Newborn Care Program, we reach out to parents of babies in the NICU who might benefit from working with a nurse case manager. Your nurse case manager will work with you and your family while your baby is in the NICU, assist you with getting ready to go home with your baby, and continue to support you once you are home.
You and your nurse case manager will communicate by telephone, and will focus on such topics as:
- Learning about the NICU
- Communicating with your baby's medical team (doctors, nurses, respiratory therapists, nutritionists, etc.)
- Understanding your physician's plan for your infant's care
- Discussing questions you may have about caring for your baby
- Helping you find and use additional health care supports
- Supporting your transition to home
If you would like additional information about our Tufts Health Freedom Priority Newborn Care Program, contact us.