Takes Under 30 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 large leaves romaine lettuce, sliced into thin ribbons (about 2 cups)
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 cup grated reduced fat jack or cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups (about 6 oz/180 g) shredded cooked turkey or chicken
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 cup (8 oz/240 g) salsa fresca or other lower-sodium tomato salsa such as Muir Glen or Newman's Own
Make It Your Own - Add additional vegetables such as carrots, cucumbers or jalapeños to add nutritional value.
Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
Place tortillas on a baking sheet and bake until crispy, about 10 minutes.
Peel avocado and place flesh in a shallow bowl. Add lime juice and mash avocado with a fork. Spread on baked tortillas.
Top with romaine, tomatoes, cheese, turkey or chicken and green onions.
Serve with salsa.
- 243 Calories
- 2.7g Fat
- 0.7g Saturated fat
- 27.0g Protein
- 26g Carbohydrate
- 4.0g Fiber
- 394mg Sodium
All too often, the Mexican food prepared in American restaurants is smothered in cheese, making it much too high in calories, fat and sodium. Simple recipes like tostadas enable you to maintain a healthful balance, without going overboard.